I was asked by Nickie, over at IamTypecast to choose my Desert Island Discs - just eight pieces of music that I would be prepared to to listen to over and over again. These things are agonisingly painful for me, to choose such a small number of songs out of my extensive music collection is simply a mammoth task. I love music, and have a large CD and vinyl collection to browse at my every whim, music for every mood and occasion. I have an aversion to cheaply manufactured pop fad music, so it has to be original, imaginative, and a pleasure for my ears. I'm also, for this blog's purpose, restricted by whatever is on you tube, but it's usually pretty good. So anyway, here goes...
You can't have a Stone Age Queen without her heroes, so the band choice was easy, but the track is an insanely difficult choice. But here goes...
I decided on The Lost Art of Keeping A Secret because it was the first Queens track I ever heard. It was played quite heavily on MTV2 and it was then when I noticed that the singer was rather hot too...
Anyhoo, onto my second choice. Gawd this is hard without turning it into a QOTSA fangirl blog!
Anyhoo, onto my second choice. Gawd this is hard without turning it into a QOTSA fangirl blog!
So, on a completely different tangent, the KLF. The whole story of this band, invented by James Cauty and Bill Drummond, is absolutely remarkable, it was a huge publicity stunt from start to finish, but the White Room and Chill Out albums were amazing, Chill Out especially was ahead of it's time, virtually inventing the Ambient genre. It was an utter work of genius, and this track sums it up completely for me.
Adam and the Ants. I have adored this band since I was a child, and almost 30 years later, I still listen to their music and love it. I chose this track because I love the double drums and Marco's twangy guitar, as well as the utterly beautiful Adam Ant's vocals and persona. Their music, especially their first album Dirk Wears White Sox, introduced me to punk, and *ahem* dirty pervy S&M sex! I was too young to understand when they first did their thing, but I got back into them as a 16 year old, and the lyrics said a lot of new things to my teen self!
Belle and Sebastian. I love their quirky lyrics and cute songs. Again, I have MTV2 to thank for introducing me to them via Step Into My Office, and I'm looking forward to going to see them next month. This is one of my favourite B&S songs, it describes those crushes that most of us experience at some point on someone we're unlikely to ever meet, kind of like me with Josh Homme lol!
Prodigy - No Good (Start the dance). One of those bands who I can claim to have loved from the start. How they got past the fact that they had a major hit single with Charly I'll never know, but I'm glad they did, because they had made so much more great music, unlike many of the one hit wonders who have silly novelty hits like I assumed Charly would be. No Good is my favourite Prodigy track ever, it's simply brilliant, a great tune that makes me want to dance every time. And there is that particular moment at 2:08 where a hand pulls off Liam's shirt...
I haven't actually seen many of UNKLE's videos, so this was an interesting one for me. I love the whole War Stories album, so I can't say that this is my favourite, because they all are. I picked this one because the video is really curious, there are a few ideas of what it means on the you tube feed, but it is one of those videos where you can make up your own story of what happened beforehand.
Back to the rock with a bit of Faith No More. I've liked their music for years, but it wasn't until last year, when I finally got to see them live, that I realised how bloody great they are. Mike Patton oozes charisma by the bucketful and he had me in the palm of his hand throughout the performance.
Finally, it's back to my raving days with this classic track Don't Mess With This Beat by Neon. It reminds me of my very first raves, back in 1990. Sadly I lived to far north to enjoy acid house clubs and the illegal parties that the travellers were putting on, but we still knew how to party, and this was one of the anthems of the day. Even now, this tune sends me back to the leisure centre in Middlesbrough which housed what was probably Teesside's only ever big raves. Good times. There wasn't a video for this tune, but I thought whoever put it on you tube had put together a slightly more interesting 'video' than most of the ones posted, which tend to show a picture of the record or record sleeve.
And I do believe that concludes my choices for the day, it's only taken me about 10 hours to decide on these, and no doubt tomorrow I will have different ideas of what I could have had as well.
I had to watch the proper version of Christopher Walken's wonderful dance routine. :)
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICWbPeG6QwU&p=4A94F1CA8010BEC4&playnext=1&index=53
It's great isn't it :D
ReplyDelete