Monday, 6 December 2010

Belle and Sebastian at the Sage, Gateshead


So, it was my first visit to the Sage in Gateshead, and I was going to see Belle and Sebastian, accompanied by a full orchestra.  I had no idea what this strange, larva shaped building would hold, but it's pretty special.  I'll leave you to google it if you're really interested!  I arrived way too early, but was pleasantly surprised to find a gift shop to browse and a cafe so that I could sit and have a hot chocolate while I recovered from the icy cold outside.  A group of students, from one of the many courses that the Sage holds, played music in the foyer to entertain us while we waited for the main event.  


I got a little lost and was helped by a friendly member of staff, who chatted to me about the building when I said it was my first visit.  He pointed out an inocuous looking line of rubber in the floor, telling me that it helped to stop sounds and vibrations from bleeding between the three auditoriums, quite remarkable for something that people would take little notice of.  


The concert itself began promptly at 7.30pm, when Daniel Kitson performed a spoken word set, interspersed with songs from Gavin Osborn, a heartfelt story of unrequited love which I won't spoil for anyone who may be seeing them soon.  


After a short break, it was time for Belle and Sebastian to take to the stage, the 8 piece band accompanied by the London Contemporary Orchestra onstage.  Their music lends itself well to the inclusion of classical instruments and added a subtle but very effective backing to B&S's inimitable style of music.  


Belle and Sebastian played a good mixture of songs, some from their latest album and some real crowd pleasers, I particularly enjoyed Dirty Dream Number Two and the title track from the album The Boy With The Arab Strap.  Singer Stuart Murdoch spent lots of time connecting with the audience, encouraging singalongs, running around the seats and inviting people onto the stage while the rest of us looked on at their joyful dancing in envy.  Sarah Martin does a great job where Isobel Campbell left off, perhaps not quite as sweet and breathy (I'm a big fan of Isobel), but certainly an excellent replacement.  Sadly for me they didn't play my favourite Funny Little Frog, but I can forgive them after the great night I had last night.


The final bonus was that the roads were clear after the horrendous snow we've had lately and the drive wasn't half as bad as I was dreading.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely night!! Did you go on your own? How did you copy with that? I couldn't do it AT ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do go on my own a lot of the time. It's a case of going on my own or missing out when nobody I know wants to come with me, so I opt for not missing out :) I do feel a bit conspicuous and weird at first, but once the band is on, all your focus is on the stage anyway so it doesn't matter any more :) It is nice to have someone to share it with, but not the end of the world if I don't.

    ReplyDelete