Tuesday, 22 February 2011

Queens of the Stone Age and Me


My blog title, for those who didn't know, refers to my obsession with the band Queens of the Stone Age, so I thought it was time to have a ramble about them.  A few days ago I took my cellulite-y legs down to the tattoo shops and got the above tattooed onto my left thigh.  The artwork is taken from a QOTSA tshirt that has seen better days.  I'm really pleased with the result, the picture doesn't do it complete justice.

Now I have heard that they are touring the UK in May!!!  Now, when a tour is announced from any of my favourite bands, I get excited, but these guys tip me over the edge, such is my obsession with the boys.  I have seen them twice at Leeds festival, and I've seen Josh Homme play with Them Crooked Vultures, also at Leeds, but I really want to see them at one of their own gigs.  In 2007, I had a ticket for one such gig, but I got massively anxious, had a major panic attack, and didn't go.  I have felt like crap about it ever since, so this new tour is a huge thing for me.  Not only do I need to get a ticket, but I have to make sure that those panics don't ruin it for me once again.  I am formulating a plan to hopefully help me to overcome the anxiety so that I'll be just fine to go and enjoy this gig, which will mean so much to me after missing the last one.

I started liking the band in 2002, when their Songs for the Deaf album blasted onto the scene, and rocketed QOTSA into the big time.  The album quickly became a favourite, especially in the car, where it just sounds so good.  I quickly went out and bought Rated R, and their self titled debut album and found a multi-layered and beautiful listening experience, which got me hooked in a big way.  Finding out that the singer, Josh Homme, was hot, hot, hot was the icing on the cake, and he is now my #1 fantasy man whom no other can match.  He has talent by the shedload, plays a number of different instruments and has the stage presence and charisma of a true rock star.  He is frequently referred to as 'the Ginger Elvis', which isn't an insult by any means, there are similarities in looks, and Josh can swivel his hips and make me swoon as much as Elvis did to his fans back in his heyday.

QOTSA have also been my passport to finding a huge amount of new music too, from Homme's previous band Kyuss, to his experimental series of albums, the Desert Sessions, which come from recording and jamming sessions at the Rancho De La Luna in Palm Springs.  Not to mention ex-Screaming Trees singer Mark Lanegan, who is a part time Queen and has also made some fantastic music in his own right.  He and an amazing array of artists, from Ween to PJ Harvey, just go out there, have a great laugh, get stoned, get drunk, and mess about until they create music.  Some of the tracks from QOTSA albums came from the Desert Sessions, re-recorded or with new lyrics, songs like I Wanna Make It Wit Chu, In My Head and Avon, which was originally called Nova (Avon backwards) and had different lyrics.  Josh has produced albums by the Arctic Monkeys, Millionaire and Beaver, and has guested on tracks from bands like Biffy Clyro.  If that wasn't enough, he is also drummer for the Eagles of Death Metal and singer/lead guitarist with rock supergroup Them Crooked Vultures, along with Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones and Foo Fighters/Nirvana's Dave Grohl.  Honestly, what's not to love about this multi talented, sexy man???

So.... I need to get to this gig, I need to sort myself out, and I also need to find a way of showing off my new tattoo at the gig without looking like some slutty old mutton :-D

1 comment:

  1. Oh well, I didn't get a ticket, keep checking ebay, but it's full of touts selling tickets for at least double the price. :-(

    ReplyDelete